THE APPEARANCE OF SAINT PARASKEVI TO NUN
During the time of the civil war in Greece 1946-1950 between the communists and the government of Greece the communist guerrillas would often come down from the mountains, hide in the bush near the Monastery of St. Paraskevi looking for food. The cell of nun Christonymphi was located on the ground floor of the Monastery. Nearby there were four or five other cells of other nuns. There was also a dining room and a large room whose walls were filled with icons. This room was being used as a Church by the nuns. The sisterhood of nuns would gather in this room at midnight to read the monastic midnight service. After the service the nuns would rest for a while and then wake up early in the morning to chant the matins service. Nun Christonymphi usually would go to the Church which was some distance from the monastic cells and light the kandylia (votive lights).